What the gel

Hi, my name is Eleanor and I am a gel polish newbie. There, I said it out loud…phew. I have never given gel much thought mostly because I am not too keen on putting anything on my skin, hair & nails; that I am not 110% certain of. Well that is what I thought 3 weeks ago.

I love vanished nails. Thinking about it now, I have way too many bottles than I can use (Yard sale anyone?). My only problem though is that on Day 1, literally my nails are chipping away and that frustrates the life out of me. So while having drinks with some girls and talking all things beauty, Atsoko was recommended as the best place to break my gelginity.

I don’t need to ramble on about how awesome gel vanish is. I mean, it lasts 3 weeks (mine did), looks glossy the whole time and there is no smudging. That is major if you have seen me do my nails and how they look after **facepalm**. But for those that are like me, here’s the low-down // you have the usual 3 coats: base, color & top coat …. like duh, the only difference is after each application you pop your nails under UV light for it to harden and dry up STAT!!

This is how I know I am sold on this stuff, last Saturday, I went back to Atsoko (which btw has some of the nicest staff & great make-up selection from Sleek. But that’s a story for another day) to get another color done. Now removing it is not your usual remover & cotton 5-minute step. Nah ah, it’s a whole process. The salonist placed acetone onto cotton, filled my nail with it & wrapped the nails and cotton with foil for about 10 mins // he then used a nail tool to scrap the softened vanish off, cleaned them and repeated to put on another color.

I am no doctor but I would say that the UV light stings when it does, remember that this is a small price to pay for beauty. Now that I have experimented with my nails. Skin, hair let’s do this…

Have you tried out gel vanish? What has your experience been? Let me know in the comments below.

// Top – H&M // Jeans – Zara // Sandals – Ted Baker // Bag – Zara

gellack gellack gellack gellack gellack gellack

1. Shubi K
    September 18, 2015 / 12:01 pm

I LOVE gel nail-polish. I was scared to try them in the beginning, because I didn’t want to spoil my natural nails. As soon as I started with gel, I haven’t gone back to normal nail-polish ever since. It’s been about 10 months now and I’m loving it. I love the classic white but now I’ve gone into many different colors.

• Eleanor Mirembe
      September 20, 2015 / 11:45 am

Don’t think I will be returning to normal vanish in a bit. On the other hand, won’t be going ham on gel either. Once every 2 months will do for me

2. Irene
    September 18, 2015 / 12:47 pm

Hi Eleanor,Good to read from you.
    My Gel nail experience was a very good one,because first of all,the gel stays longer than the real nail polish,you don’t have to worry about washing or doing any chores with gel.However after removal of the gel my nails had become weak,they looked brittle and had lost their natural white look,i vowed not to indulge again,i use the normal vanish now,my nails are healthier and look very nice.

• Eleanor Mirembe
      September 20, 2015 / 11:43 am

I agree. I think moderation is key with gel nail polish. Or else you will be forced to wear it for the rest of your life to hide how your nails look after a while. Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂

3. Harrieth Mgongolwa
    September 18, 2015 / 1:07 pm

I love the white color on you, am totally obsessed with nail gel as well 🙂

• Eleanor Mirembe
      September 20, 2015 / 11:37 am

Thanks Cuzzziiinn 🙂

4. TNL
    September 22, 2015 / 7:00 am

Love love love the nails!!! Yayyy to the yard sale!!! my experience was not so awesome however I did do my nails at home and had no idea about the UV light which explains a lot because I invested in a couple of bottles of gel nail polish and I was thinking this is worse than regular nail polish!!! Thanks for the tip!! looks like my salon visits are going to become more frequent!!!
    P.S the lip color tots amazing!!!

5. Faithy
    September 28, 2015 / 1:48 pm

El you look amazing. For a "newbie" you are totally rocking that gel. I am so copying your outfit. I hope I rock it just like you did.

6. Joan
    November 18, 2015 / 9:46 am

This blog post title is so hilarious! Plus, the pictures in this post! Also, I love how your nails have turned out.

🙂 I wrote a post about Gel Vanish once, that you might want to check out, especially regarding the side effects of a UV light. Someone told me about Sally Hansen nail vanish – its gel, but you don’t have to go under a UV light. Search for it on Amazon 😉

• Eleanor Mirembe
      November 18, 2015 / 12:34 pm

I have actually read your post on gel vanish. Sadly, as much as I am a big fan, I don’t think I will be doing it often. The process of removing it from my nails was scary. I will however, check out the Sally Hansen vanish for the future 🙂